Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: New to Altec - what to buy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Super Moderator
    New to Altec - what to buy


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    Licorne this is for a home environment and is not a professional install (Movie Theater/Sound Reinforcement) which also has to pass the WAF. The MR594II is a large horn I have a pair here.And IMO he will be able to make a smaller box for them which will fill his requirements better I think.The MR94 is twice the size.I bought a pair of 511E's that were mounted in a box,pro boxes.And may also be an option. We still haven't heard from him on room size which will help tremendously.IMHO

    31

    32

    33

    34

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Licorne this is for a home environment and is not a professional install (Movie Theater/Sound Reinforcement) which also has to pass the WAF. The MR594II is a large horn I have a pair here.And IMO he will be able to make a smaller box for them which will fill his requirements better I think.The MR94 is twice the size.I bought a pair of 511E's that were mounted in a box,pro boxes.And may also be an option. We still haven't heard from him on room size which will help tremendously.IMHO

    31

    32

    33

    34

    Yes you are right about room size . But as A former projectionist and sound operator THe altecs with Big horns are the best HI FI souning speakers.

    Same comment by another cinema installer on film tech:

    quote Steve :

    I'll put an Altec A-4/MR94 up against any large system or an Altec A-5/MR94 up against any smaller system any day. And as to medium horns...the MRII594 is unbeatable in my book.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    If it's for home use, why not a model 19 or similar?

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    New to Altec - what to buy


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    Would a pair of 416's be an option for you ? They will do 1200 Hz easily.You seem to have the HF part taken care of.Yes Bill is a good guy.His approach is to help you acheive what you want.And not try to sell you new gear at every turn.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    And not try to sell you new gear at every turn.
    In the OP's case trying to sell him on a pair of 416's would really be doing him a favor in the long run.

    I'm not knocking the Eminence, they build some very fine sounding drivers.

    But, the 416 is a pretty special woofer, and if the OP really wants to taste Altec, he'll find 416's bursting with flavor.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    New to Altec - what to buy


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    Agreed ! That's why I mentioned the 416.Especially if he is going with a pair of 902's for the HF.What I meant about Bill was if he can fix something for you for a fraction of the cost that is what he does instead of trying to push new gear on you with a much higher dollar price tag attached.Not that some of us would mind the new gear !

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New to Altec - what to buy


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    I just pulled a pair 416As out of storage and am testing them out in rather large enclosures (816A). They do sound amazing, particularly as they head upwards towards XO frequency. It's pretty astounding the range these things have.
    - Mike

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member rontec's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2009
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    I got some decent results using Eminence 15's with Altec 511 b's/808 8b's (800hz crossover) from low to moderate volumes. However for higher volumes or live sound..... The 416's would be a necessity for me. The Eminence's from my point of view seem to break up a little at higher volumes. You could use the Eminence's for now and keep your eyes open for some 416's in the future.(BTW- I would agree, the 416's are unsurpassed at low volume levels too and you would eliminate the complexity and cost of a mid-bass driver)

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    Quote Originally Posted by Alien_Shore View Post
    I just pulled a pair 416As out of storage and am testing them out in rather large enclosures (816A). They do sound amazing, particularly as they head upwards towards XO frequency. It's pretty astounding the range these things have.
    Haha...... "rather large enclosures (816)". I like them in part because they're on the smaller side :-)
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #10
    Inactive Member JRKO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 17th, 2012
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: New to Altec - what to buy

    The only pair of 416's for sale on that auction site are just over $900. NO WAY will I EVER get that $ past Mrs JRKO - EVER. I haven't even bought the horns yet!!! I cant listen at high volumes anyways as I have neighbours below, above, to the back and to the side of me. 4 People I cant afford to P-off

    Would the Beyma 15MI100E be any better? I'm not sure really what I should be looking for in the mid/bass driver. other than the freq curve is pretty flat (within +/- 3dB) up to and past the crossover point.

    What in the specs should tell me that I've found a god driver?

    TNX for you help so far BTW - very much appreciated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.